Clubs’ Public Liability insurance

PremierClubs and Affiliated Leagues are covered under the Table Tennis England Public Liability Insurance.

What this insurance covers

Registered clubs and Affiliated Leagues are covered under the Table Tennis England Public Liability Insurance.

This covers legal liability for damages and legal costs arising out of injury to Employees and Third Party loss, injury or damage, in connection with the insured activities described above for incidents occurring within the period stated above.

Cover includes Employers Liability, Public liability, Professional indemnity and Directors & Officers Liability, including liability for damage to leased and rented premises, indemnity to principals and liability arising out of goods sold or supplied including refreshments. Cover is provided with a retro-active date of 15 November 2003 (or from the start of your association membership, whichever date is the latter) which means that the cover will respond in respect of insured incidents that have occurred since this date, where the incident has not already been notified to insurers. All incidents that may give rise to a claim should be notified to Sportscover via Towergate at the time of incident.

Limit of Indemnity
  • £10,000,000 any one event, including Legal Defence Costs
  • £10,000,000 any one period of cover for Products or Pollution
  • £ 5,000,000 any one period of cover for Directors & Officers Liability

Frequently asked questions

The questions below are intended as a guide for Table Tennis England members only. Should you be in any doubt or require any further clarification then please contact Towergate Insurance who will be pleased to assist.

The group Table Tennis England Liability Insurance is provided by Hiscox Insurance. Public liability cover is provided to all members however, as with all insurance terms, conditions & exclusions apply.  Examples of exclusions are wilful destruction and neglect, terrorism and deliberate acts etc. A summary of cover is available on request from Table Tennis England or Towergate Insurance.

In general, as long as the league, club and its officials have acted in accordance with the rules and governance as laid down by the association, then in most circumstances the insurance will respond should you be considered “liable” upon injury or damage. This will include not only the playing and training of the sport, but also the club’s associated social activities.

The club’s insurance policy should be considered as an added protection to your existing care and attention and sensible management of your risks. However, in no circumstances should liability be admitted. This will be for Sportscover to handle.

Yes. It is strongly recommended that their names are recorded in a visitors’ book to ensure that you have an accurate record of a guest’s attendance, which can be up to a maximum of four visits by any person. This will provide insurers with valuable assistance in handling any claim made against you.

‘Non members’ are not insured under the Table Tennis England policy for claims against them. This ‘social risk’ is often insured by their own personal home insurance.

If one of these individuals decided to take an action against the club (or a Table Tennis England member) for injury or damage then the Sports Liability policy would indemnify the club or the member if liability was established.

A licensed coach should be present at all times during official club training/coaching sessions. It is not necessary for a licensed coach to be present during open play or competitions or general practice, although a qualified first aider should be present.

Yes, the policy (subject to terms and conditions) will provide cover to the club for your legal liability in respect of claims that are made against the club for injury, loss or damage that arise out of the club’s negligence, this includes its members and committee.  The policy does not provide any form of indemnity to the hirers in respect of their own legal liability.

The third party should be requested to provide evidence of their own public liability insurance to ensure that it is current and to an acceptable limit of indemnity.

Yes. You are required by law to have Employers Liability insurance for people who you employ. People who you normally think of as self-employed or volunteers may be considered as your employees for the purposes of Employers Liability insurance. What matters is the nature of your relationship with the people who work for you and the degree of control you have over the work they do.

Yes. This is provided up to a limit of £ 2,000,000.

Amongst the main covers which should be considered are :

Loss/damage to Premises or Contents that you own (including TT tables)
Personal Accident & Injury for guests and non player members

You may contact Towergate Insurance on 01926 439439 or by email for a no obligation quotation on any of these covers.

If your club engages the services of an independent contractor to carry out some maintenance/ alterations at your club then they should carry their own third party liability insurance (Public Liability) in case they injure someone else or damage their property. We recommend that the club requests sight of the contractors’ Insurance certificate.

If however, the contractor were personally injured and decided to sue the club or a member for the injuries they have sustained, the policy would indemnify the club or club member for any liability (subject to policy coverage, terms and conditions)

The policy covers clubs for the use of their equipment (tables, floodlights, nets and courts) by the nearby school to teach children table tennis as part of their educational curriculum?

However, you should ensure that equipment is maintained, periodically inspected for defects & known faults repaired where necessary prior to loaning. You should also ensure that the school supplies a statement of their own Public Liability Insurance.

Anyone can make a claim against a member, a club, league, county association of the National governing Body itself. One Table Tennis England member is also entitled to make a claim against another Table Tennis England member in the event of bodily injury caused.

.. and how would the “away” team fare if the incident was caused by them?

All Table Tennis England members are covered equally for home and away matches, including “member to member” liability.

If the opposing team is a Table Tennis England affiliated club then their members will be similarly covered. If they are not Table Tennis England affiliated you should check that they have Public Liability insurance in place (a minimum limit of indemnity of £10,000,000 is recommended).

Any claims for injury or damage arising out of the club’s negligence would be covered by the TTE Clubs and Leagues Liability insurance. Please see comments above regarding maintenance of equipment. We recommend that you ask for evidence of their public liability insurance, in case they damage your equipment (or injure your members).

In the event of a claim:

You must report every claim and any incident that is likely to give rise to a claim in the future. Incident Notification Guidelines are attached to this document below to assist you. Please contact Towergate Insurance on 01926 439439 or email and complete the necessary report/claim form as soon as possible to avoid prejudicing your claim.

It is a condition of this insurance that you do not admit liability or do not make an offer or promise to pay.

Claims documentation

The claims documentation is restricted to Table Tennis England members only. In order to access the insurance documentation, please login to the Membership Benefits area.