Sudbury Nomads showed they mean business in aiming at the division two title in the Braintree Table Tennis League when they turned out one of their strongest sides for their first match.

It was Black Notley F who felt the brunt as Ken Lewis, who played only four times last season, Karl Baldwin and new signing Jack Cansdale remained unbeaten.

Notley D followed up their draw with their own C team by beating Rayne D 9-1. Dave Allinson pinched the one with a win over Adam Clift.

Rayne C recovered from their first week defeat by Netts C to beat Notley E 7-3. Dave Marsh was unbeaten.

After their 10-0 win in the first week, Notley G came down to earth in division three when they were beaten 7-3 by Rayne E.

There were three wins again for Rayne’s Oliver Hicks while Jim Davy won twice for Notley.

The two Netts teams in the division faced each other and it was the E team who upset the alphabet by winning 8-2. Jimmy Calisin and Jack Dearsley were undefeated while Charles Calisin picked up the first double of his career, a win against the experienced Michael Goodchild particularly notable.

After their draw against champions Netts A in division one the previous week, Rayne A surprisingly struggled to get the better of Notley A 6-4.

Chris Parr and Steve Noble both beat Steve Pennell while Paul Nicol edged home against Adam Buxton in a set of three deuces, including 14-12 in the fifth game.

Father and daughter played brothers in the Netts B-Liberal A match. Nikki Kennard’s three singles plus one from dad Derek helped Netts to a 6-4 win. Scott Dowsett won twice for Liberal.

With an entirely different team, Netts B also beat Liberal B by the same score. Ashley Skeggs was on fire for Liberal, winning all three.

After their draw with Notley A in their previous match Rayne B went one better against the B team and won 6-4. Victor Chan’s three wins against his former clubmates held Rayne together.

Of note also was Keith Martin’s win over Gary Copsey, who had beaten him while playing up for the A team a week earlier 11-4, 11-2, 11-6. This time Martin clung on for a win at 11-9 in the fifth.